Errors prove costly for Rovers
Herts Senior County Division One Harpenden Rovers 1 Old Parmiterians 3 THREE goalkeeping errors cost Rovers dearly as they threw away the lead at home to Old Parmaterians. In the blustery wind it was Rovers who got to grips with the conditions quickest a
Herts Senior County Division One
Harpenden Rovers 1 Old Parmiterians 3
THREE goalkeeping errors cost Rovers dearly as they threw away the lead at home to Old Parmaterians.
In the blustery wind it was Rovers who got to grips with the conditions quickest and started very brightly.
Rovers completely dominated, with Man of the Match Neil Cannons taking control in the centre of the field giving Rovers the upper hand.
Rovers eventually broke the deadlock after 32 minutes through Ollie Poole's strike. Golds and Ellis combined with some lovely football allowing Ellis to break down the wing and supply a fantastic cross for Poole to tap home from three yards.
- 1 Seventies St Albans is backdrop to new novel about secret Nazi treasure
- 2 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 3 Local restaurants snap up accolades in Curry Awards
- 4 Batchwood Golf Course to be redesigned after houses hit by balls
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 1,000 new homes planned next to village
- 7 St Albans haberdashery store celebrates 50 years
- 8 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 9 Future of Harpenden Public Halls site revealed
- 10 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
However shortly after this Rovers hit the self destruct button allowing Old Parmaterians back into the game.
Old P's were awarded a corner and 'keeper Goodwin made a complete hash of clearing allowing the visitors to equalise.
Things got worse for Rovers just before half time as they conceded another corner, and another goalkeeping error allowed Old P's to tap in.
Rovers were shell shocked going into the break 2-1 down when they had completely outplayed the opposition.
The second half did not start well, when Goodwin came for a cross, and completely misjudged it, allowing Old P's another gifted goal.
Jim Nicholls' side will look to bounce back from this defeat on Saturday when they take on local rivals St.Peters at Lemsford, in a must win game.
Also on Saturday is Rovers Reserves' trip to Hinton Reserves in the Reserve Cup Semi Final.
Rovers: Goodwin, Ellis, Watson, Foster (Hardy 65), Williams (Smith 45), Hamer, Chugg, Golds, Norris (Jenkinson 70), Cannons.