Final pre-season run-out gives Old Albanian an encouraging win over Tring
- Credit: Archant
Old Albanian finished their pre-season commitments on a high with a 43-24 win over Tring.
Played under the Woollams lights on Thursday night, OAs were comfortable winners despite a feisty display from the visitors.
And it won’t be the actual win that will have delighted head coach Gavin Hogg and his management team but the manner of the performance.
Albanian still have a lengthy injury list and were also missing some holidaying players but they were still able to call on the likes of skipper Ross Hamilton, Tim Bond and Chris West, while Charlie Hughes bolstered the front row.
Those inclusions will be a huge encouraging factor for supporters before the arrival of newly-promoted Guernsey on Saturday.
Tring stuck manfully to their guns and the level five side will not be too disappointed with their showing, giving Albanian plenty to think about all evening.
But the hosts’ tight play has improved massively and the line-out can now be depended upon to deliver possession when it matters.
- 1 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 2 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 3 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
- 4 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 5 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 6 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans Beer and Cider Festival set to return after two years
- 9 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
Play at the breakdown and defence in general have been strengths since training began in the summer.
Kick-off at Woollams on Saturday is at 2.30pm.