Eighty golfers raise money for children’s charity
Eighty members from Aldwickbury Park Golf Club have taken part in the 2014 Captain’s Day to help raise money for Get Kids Going, a charity helping disabled youngsters get into sport.
The day included two golf competitions, with 25 prizes up for grabs including GPS watches, a display from World Golf Trick Shot Champion Geoff Swain and a barbecue lunch hosted on the recently-extended terrace overlooking the 18-hole Park Course.
Members and visitors to Aldwickbury Park Golf Club have helped raise more than £14k for Get Kids Going already in 2014 and the club captain, Steve Lee, hopes to hit an even higher target.
“Thanks to the generosity and support of members and guests we have already raised a fantastic amount of money for this exceptional cause. It is my hope that before the year is out and my successor chooses his captain’s charity, we will have raised £15k,” he said.
In a final act of fundraising on the day, Lee undertook the Ice Bucket Challenge, before nominating the club’s general manager, Andrew Shewbridge, who did it too.
You may also want to watch:
“I will gladly add to the total via Steve’s nomination for me to take part in the Ice Bucket Challenge,” said Shewbridge.
“Steve has been an excellent ambassador for the club throughout his captaincy and the vast amount raised for his chosen charity is testament to the pro-activity of both Steve and our vibrant membership.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 8 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 9 St Albans Folk Festival 2021 to go ahead this weekend
- 10 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
“It’s always pleasing to welcome both new and familiar faces to Aldwickbury Park and we frequently host various types of events, especially since we opened our extended function suite in early 2014.”
Winners of the day’s main golf competition, an 18-hole combined pair’s Stableford, were: Dave Crossman and Matt Temperley with 80 points.
To find out more about Aldwickbury Park Golf Club, visit www.aldwickburyparkgolfclub.co.uk, call 01582 760112 or follow @aldwickburygolf on Twitter.