Edgar Davids coming to Clarence Park as Saints kick-off pre-season schedule
- Credit: Archant
ONE of football’s legends will grace the Clarence Park pitch on Tuesday night.
Former Dutch international, Champions League winner and current Barnet player-coach Edgar Davids and his side will kick-off St Albans City’s 2013 pre-season schedule.
And with Davids promising to bring his first team squad, Saints’ joint manager James Gray has reciprocated, telling the Herts Ad that “every single player will be on show.”
This means City fans will get their first glimpse of last season’s Evo-Stik Southern Premier top scorer John Frendo as well as other new signings Lee Chappell, Paul Bastock, Chris O’Leary, Darren Locke and Ben Martin.
Despite only being back in training for a week, Gray said his side will be ready.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve been back since Thursday and the intensity and professionalism has been top drawer,” he said.
“We’ll mix and match the team because it’s such an early friendly and we can’t afford players to get injured.
- 1 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 2 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 3 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 4 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 5 Your school heroes - praise for teachers and support staff during third lockdown
- 6 Restaurant delivers food to households self-isolating due to Covid
- 7 St Albans City game at Dulwich Hamlet postponed due to positive test in Londoners' squad
- 8 Property Spotlight: A stunning conversion in the heart of Harpenden
- 9 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 10 COVID-19 accounted for over 15 per cent of St Albans' deaths, says ONS data
“It’s a chance for us to make a few decisions on whether to keep players in the squad or look elsewhere so every player will be on show.
“We’ve got 10 friendlies to get it right,” he added. “Barnet on Tuesday is not my main concern. My main concern is August 17 [the first week of the 2013/14 season].
With new faces on show and the chance to see one of the best footballers in the history of the game, Gray issued a rally cry for fans to support City on the night.
“Davids is one of the game’s legends; I’m excited about getting a photo with him.”
Tuesday night’s game kicks-off at 7.45pm.
City’s other pre-season fixtures at Clarence Park are against MK Dons on July 13 (3pm KO), Stevenage on July 20 (3pm KO) and Leyton Orient on July 26 (7.30pm KO). Pre-season admission prices are £10 for adults, £6 concessions, £2 juniors and £15 for families (two adults and two children).