Edgar Davids coming to Clarence Park as Saints kick-off pre-season schedule
- Credit: Archant
ONE of football’s legends will grace the Clarence Park pitch on Tuesday night.
Former Dutch international, Champions League winner and current Barnet player-coach Edgar Davids and his side will kick-off St Albans City’s 2013 pre-season schedule.
And with Davids promising to bring his first team squad, Saints’ joint manager James Gray has reciprocated, telling the Herts Ad that “every single player will be on show.”
This means City fans will get their first glimpse of last season’s Evo-Stik Southern Premier top scorer John Frendo as well as other new signings Lee Chappell, Paul Bastock, Chris O’Leary, Darren Locke and Ben Martin.
Despite only being back in training for a week, Gray said his side will be ready.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve been back since Thursday and the intensity and professionalism has been top drawer,” he said.
“We’ll mix and match the team because it’s such an early friendly and we can’t afford players to get injured.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
“It’s a chance for us to make a few decisions on whether to keep players in the squad or look elsewhere so every player will be on show.
“We’ve got 10 friendlies to get it right,” he added. “Barnet on Tuesday is not my main concern. My main concern is August 17 [the first week of the 2013/14 season].
With new faces on show and the chance to see one of the best footballers in the history of the game, Gray issued a rally cry for fans to support City on the night.
“Davids is one of the game’s legends; I’m excited about getting a photo with him.”
Tuesday night’s game kicks-off at 7.45pm.
City’s other pre-season fixtures at Clarence Park are against MK Dons on July 13 (3pm KO), Stevenage on July 20 (3pm KO) and Leyton Orient on July 26 (7.30pm KO). Pre-season admission prices are £10 for adults, £6 concessions, £2 juniors and £15 for families (two adults and two children).