Early start for Aquathlon
THERE was an early start for 75 athletes yesterday morning as they took part in the Tri-Force Midsummer Sunrise Aquathlon. Now in its 15th year and taking place at the new venue of Herts Sports Village in Hatfield, this popular event saw the competitors s
THERE was an early start for 75 athletes yesterday morning as they took part in the Tri-Force Midsummer Sunrise Aquathlon.
Now in its 15th year and taking place at the new venue of Herts Sports Village in Hatfield, this popular event saw the competitors setting off at six in the morning to complete a 400m pool swim, followed by a 6km run, and with excellent sunny conditions on the day we were treated to some stunning performances and very close competition throughout.
Local athlete Andrew Jakeman (Team Tri UK) followed up last years second place by winning this year's race in the very fast time of 25:51, closely followed by Craig Halsey, and Kevin Partridge (Tri-Sport Epping)
Kevin Dean (Shorter Rochford) from St Albans won the male veteran category and Robert Van Tromp (Verulam ASC / Watford Harriers) won the male under-20 category for the second year in succession.
You may also want to watch:
For the third year in a row the ladies race was won by 13-year-old Sky Draper of Hillingdon Triathletes / Jetstream Tri Club, with a time of 29:23, which also managed to secure eigtht place overall, and she continues to perform at the highest level in multi-sport events.
Sally Onn (St. Albans Striders) and Kathryn Berry finished second and third in the ladies race, with Paula Robinson taking the veteran ladies prize.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 5 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 6 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 9 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
Another great performance came from Abigail West of Tri-Force Juniors winning the ladies under-20 category and finishing 35th overall at the tender age of 11 - another one to watch for the future.
The event was enjoyed by all involved and raised �75 for APSIRE, a charity which works with people with spinal cord injuries.