Dynamic Verulamians hit the Street
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians put together a fine team performance to run out 27-12 winners over Old Streetonians in Herts Middlesex Division One.
The performance owed a lot to the work of the forwards who secured enough ball to allow their backs, led by the dynamic fly-half Tom Maile, to dictate territory.
Maile and Casey Lynch, together with the hard-tackling back-row of Sam Richmond, Mike Ainsworth and Darren Westhead, didn’t give the Hackney-based rugby club a moment’s peace throughout the 80 minutes.
Gareth Waters’ successful penalty started the scoring and a Westhead score sent Vees into a 10-0 half-time lead.
A cleverly-placed grubber kick enabled Streetonians to pull it back to 10–5 but the score only spurred Vees on.
You may also want to watch:
A break by Maile sent Ben Russell storming through to convert his own try and make it 17 –5 before Waters kicked another penalty.
Maile glided through to score a try his play had deserved to complete the home side’s scoring.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 6 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 7 Shortages crisis hits district
- 8 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 9 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 10 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
Barnet Elizabethans are next up for Vees, fresh from handing league leaders Kilburn Cosmos their first defeat of the season on Saturday.