Dynamic Verulamians hit the Street
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians put together a fine team performance to run out 27-12 winners over Old Streetonians in Herts Middlesex Division One.
The performance owed a lot to the work of the forwards who secured enough ball to allow their backs, led by the dynamic fly-half Tom Maile, to dictate territory.
Maile and Casey Lynch, together with the hard-tackling back-row of Sam Richmond, Mike Ainsworth and Darren Westhead, didn’t give the Hackney-based rugby club a moment’s peace throughout the 80 minutes.
Gareth Waters’ successful penalty started the scoring and a Westhead score sent Vees into a 10-0 half-time lead.
A cleverly-placed grubber kick enabled Streetonians to pull it back to 10–5 but the score only spurred Vees on.
You may also want to watch:
A break by Maile sent Ben Russell storming through to convert his own try and make it 17 –5 before Waters kicked another penalty.
Maile glided through to score a try his play had deserved to complete the home side’s scoring.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 8 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 9 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 10 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
Barnet Elizabethans are next up for Vees, fresh from handing league leaders Kilburn Cosmos their first defeat of the season on Saturday.