Dynamic Verulamians hit the Street
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians put together a fine team performance to run out 27-12 winners over Old Streetonians in Herts Middlesex Division One.
The performance owed a lot to the work of the forwards who secured enough ball to allow their backs, led by the dynamic fly-half Tom Maile, to dictate territory.
Maile and Casey Lynch, together with the hard-tackling back-row of Sam Richmond, Mike Ainsworth and Darren Westhead, didn’t give the Hackney-based rugby club a moment’s peace throughout the 80 minutes.
Gareth Waters’ successful penalty started the scoring and a Westhead score sent Vees into a 10-0 half-time lead.
A cleverly-placed grubber kick enabled Streetonians to pull it back to 10–5 but the score only spurred Vees on.
A break by Maile sent Ben Russell storming through to convert his own try and make it 17 –5 before Waters kicked another penalty.
Maile glided through to score a try his play had deserved to complete the home side’s scoring.
- 1 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 2 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 3 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 4 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 5 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 6 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 7 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
- 8 Recap: Rail firm cancels trains due to Herts 'operational issue'
- 9 Woodland access saved by Chiswell Green campaigner
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Barnet Elizabethans are next up for Vees, fresh from handing league leaders Kilburn Cosmos their first defeat of the season on Saturday.