Dutch old masters paint a winning picture on visit to St Albans Hockey Club
- Credit: Archant
There was an international flavour at St Albans Hockey Club as they and Oaklands College played host to visitors from the Netherlands.
A masters team from Hellevoetsluis and Rockanje, south of Rotterdam, made the journey via the Hook of Holland and Harwich to face the St Albans Centurions side on Friday night in the Netherlands.
And it proved a fruitful trip as they left with a 1-0 victory courtesy of a successful penalty stroke.
They continued their visit with a second match against the East Over 70 team on Saturday and on this occasion it was their English hosts who took the spoils, winning 3-1.
In between they took in the sights of St Albans Abbey and the Saturday market as well as being guests of honour at meals at the Stables and Six Bells pub in St Michaels.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for St Albans said: “It was an enjoyable weekend for all concerned.”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre