Dutch old masters paint a winning picture on visit to St Albans Hockey Club
- Credit: Archant
There was an international flavour at St Albans Hockey Club as they and Oaklands College played host to visitors from the Netherlands.
A masters team from Hellevoetsluis and Rockanje, south of Rotterdam, made the journey via the Hook of Holland and Harwich to face the St Albans Centurions side on Friday night in the Netherlands.
And it proved a fruitful trip as they left with a 1-0 victory courtesy of a successful penalty stroke.
They continued their visit with a second match against the East Over 70 team on Saturday and on this occasion it was their English hosts who took the spoils, winning 3-1.
In between they took in the sights of St Albans Abbey and the Saturday market as well as being guests of honour at meals at the Stables and Six Bells pub in St Michaels.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for St Albans said: “It was an enjoyable weekend for all concerned.”
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 6 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 7 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 8 Columban Cycling Club take on 'The Italian Job' for Home-Start Herts
- 9 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 10 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals