Dunstable remain unbeaten with win over London Colney
LONDON Colney were not able to inflict Dunstable Town’s first loss of the season, going down 3-0 on Thursday night.
Dunstable remain the only unbeaten team in English football having won 29 of their 34 games this season, giving them a seemingly unassailable 16-point lead over second placed Aylesbury United.
Speaking before the game, Colney boss Ryan Thomspon said it would be “lovely” be the first team to put a blemish on Dunstable’s record.
But the visitors’ are top of the league for a reason and they put the Blueboys to the sword.
Matt Newman tested Dunstable’s shot stopper Paul Taylor early on and Colney goalkeeper Mark Whittamore looked confident collecting crosses and pushing shots to safety.
You may also want to watch:
On 30 minutes the deadlock was broken, Nathan Frater lofting a cross for Lee Roache to head into the net.
The second arrived 10 minutes later, albeit in controversial conditions. Whittamore collected Roache’s low cross but he spilt it, giving Tony Burnett the easiest of goals. The hosts argued for a foul on the goalkeeper but the referee awarded the goal.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 4 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 5 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 6 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 7 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 8 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
Try as they might Colney could not find a goal in the second half, and the game was put out of reach on 71 minutes as Nick Jackson netted Dunstable’s third.
London COlney’s game against Hatfield Town FC on Saturday was called off. Thompson’s troops are back in action tonight (Thursday) when they welcome Leverstock Green to Cotlandswick, kick-off 7.45pm.