Dunstable remain unbeaten with win over London Colney
LONDON Colney were not able to inflict Dunstable Town’s first loss of the season, going down 3-0 on Thursday night.
Dunstable remain the only unbeaten team in English football having won 29 of their 34 games this season, giving them a seemingly unassailable 16-point lead over second placed Aylesbury United.
Speaking before the game, Colney boss Ryan Thomspon said it would be “lovely” be the first team to put a blemish on Dunstable’s record.
But the visitors’ are top of the league for a reason and they put the Blueboys to the sword.
Matt Newman tested Dunstable’s shot stopper Paul Taylor early on and Colney goalkeeper Mark Whittamore looked confident collecting crosses and pushing shots to safety.
You may also want to watch:
On 30 minutes the deadlock was broken, Nathan Frater lofting a cross for Lee Roache to head into the net.
The second arrived 10 minutes later, albeit in controversial conditions. Whittamore collected Roache’s low cross but he spilt it, giving Tony Burnett the easiest of goals. The hosts argued for a foul on the goalkeeper but the referee awarded the goal.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
Try as they might Colney could not find a goal in the second half, and the game was put out of reach on 71 minutes as Nick Jackson netted Dunstable’s third.
London COlney’s game against Hatfield Town FC on Saturday was called off. Thompson’s troops are back in action tonight (Thursday) when they welcome Leverstock Green to Cotlandswick, kick-off 7.45pm.