Dunstable remain unbeaten with win over London Colney
LONDON Colney were not able to inflict Dunstable Town’s first loss of the season, going down 3-0 on Thursday night.
Dunstable remain the only unbeaten team in English football having won 29 of their 34 games this season, giving them a seemingly unassailable 16-point lead over second placed Aylesbury United.
Speaking before the game, Colney boss Ryan Thomspon said it would be “lovely” be the first team to put a blemish on Dunstable’s record.
But the visitors’ are top of the league for a reason and they put the Blueboys to the sword.
Matt Newman tested Dunstable’s shot stopper Paul Taylor early on and Colney goalkeeper Mark Whittamore looked confident collecting crosses and pushing shots to safety.
On 30 minutes the deadlock was broken, Nathan Frater lofting a cross for Lee Roache to head into the net.
The second arrived 10 minutes later, albeit in controversial conditions. Whittamore collected Roache’s low cross but he spilt it, giving Tony Burnett the easiest of goals. The hosts argued for a foul on the goalkeeper but the referee awarded the goal.
- 1 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 4 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 5 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 6 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 7 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 10 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
Try as they might Colney could not find a goal in the second half, and the game was put out of reach on 71 minutes as Nick Jackson netted Dunstable’s third.
London COlney’s game against Hatfield Town FC on Saturday was called off. Thompson’s troops are back in action tonight (Thursday) when they welcome Leverstock Green to Cotlandswick, kick-off 7.45pm.