Dream come true for St Albans triathlete in Hawaii
A triathlete from St Albans has achieved a life ambition – by completing the Ironman World Championship.
Rav Dighe, of Napsbury Park, took part in the event at Kona, Hawaii, after 34 years of dreaming.
The 47-year-old started racing triathlons at 13 in the USA, after being inspired by a local doctor who had gone to Kona.
He was one of 130 British triathletes to complete the 3.8km swim, 180km bike ride and 42.2km run, in what is widely considered to be the most difficult one-day sporting event in the world.
He crossed the line after 14 hours 12 minutes and 28 seconds, for a finishing position of 1,425.
Dighe, who has lived in the UK for over 20 years and is a member of St Albans Striders, Verulam Cycling Club and Tri Force, has competed in over 300 events across the world, including 18 full Ironman events.
He said: “Competing in the Ironman World Championships in Kona has been a lifelong dream for me.
- 1 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 2 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 3 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 4 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 5 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 6 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 7 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Day of fundraising for No Floor No More campaign
- 10 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
“Having done Ironman races before, this was the most challenging one due to the elements, such as the lava fields, cross-winds and temperatures involved.
“Saying that, I’m now planning my next race at Ironman Barcelona and hope to be back in Kona again some day.
“Hopefully, I won’t have to wait 34 more years.”
And what started out as a hobby has progressed rapidly.
Last year Dighe left a career in IT to focus on his passion for triathlons. He is now the co-owner of Tri One, a triathlon coaching and events company in St Albans.
They introduce both adults and children to the sport through holiday camps and GoTri events for beginners of all ages.
For more details contact Rav through Facebook or via Twitter on @ironrav.