Double World title success for former St Albans School pupil
- Credit: Archant
A former pupil at St Albans School has stormed to victory in the ITU Multisport World Championships.
Robbie Lightowler was competing in both the sprint duathlon and aquathlon at the event in Penticton, British Columbia, Canada.
And the Leeds University cross country captain was successful in both.
He recorded a time of 58 minutes 32 seconds for the event, which comprised of a 5km run, 20km bike and a further 2.5km run. That was good enough for the world crown in the 20-24 age category and was also the third fastest time of the day out of the 600-plus international athletes competing.
The Aquathlon was a 1km swim followed by a 5km run.
You may also want to watch:
Lightowler took the lead 700m into the swim section, one he was not to relinquish.
His time of 30:31 made him a double world champion for his age category and included a very impressive 12:36 for the open water swim in Okanagan Lake.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images