Double World title success for former St Albans School pupil
- Credit: Archant
A former pupil at St Albans School has stormed to victory in the ITU Multisport World Championships.
Robbie Lightowler was competing in both the sprint duathlon and aquathlon at the event in Penticton, British Columbia, Canada.
And the Leeds University cross country captain was successful in both.
He recorded a time of 58 minutes 32 seconds for the event, which comprised of a 5km run, 20km bike and a further 2.5km run. That was good enough for the world crown in the 20-24 age category and was also the third fastest time of the day out of the 600-plus international athletes competing.
The Aquathlon was a 1km swim followed by a 5km run.
You may also want to watch:
Lightowler took the lead 700m into the swim section, one he was not to relinquish.
His time of 30:31 made him a double world champion for his age category and included a very impressive 12:36 for the open water swim in Okanagan Lake.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 9 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 10 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common