Herts Ad Sunday League: Double memories for King Harry but heartbreak in elusive search for Cell Barnes
- Credit: Archant
League and cup doubles are not the sole domain of clubs in the Herts Ad Sunday League Premier Division with numerous examples of when things go right for clubs in the lower leagues.
King Harry are one such team when they lifted the Division Four crown in 2009 before adding the Junior Cup.
It was a terrific season all round as Billy Phillips and Ben Conrad helped fire them to the league title, secured on the last day of the season.
Both scored in the final of the Junior Cup, along with Charlie Leahy, as Harry drew 3-3 with Oaks. They went on to clinch the cup though thanks to a 4-1 victory in the ensuing penalty shoot-out.
In total Phillips was the division’s top marksman with 31 goals while Conrad’s final tally came to a halt at 18.
You may also want to watch:
Sometimes though the double proved elusive as it had done for so many years in the professional game, agonisingly in some cases.
Cell Barnes’s mixture of old heads and youth saw them clinch the 2004 Division Four title on goal difference from Mermaid and they had the chance to clinch the double when they reached the final of the Junior Cup.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 10 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
However, that was one step too far and a goal from Ricky Perks gave Division Three champions Peacock a 1-0 win.