Double header wins keeps St Albans on promotion track
- Credit: Archant
ST ALBANS moved with two points of league leaders Bedford with double-header wins over Cambridge and Ipswich to keep their promotion dreams alive.
On Saturday, St Albans put on a master class against second from bottom Ipswich. Their superiority was evident from the start as they took a three-goal led into half time before adding two more to win 5-1.
They were given a tougher challenge on Sunday when they welcomed a well organised Cambridge side to Oaklands, but they notched up their second win in two days.
The game was scoreless at half time in no small part to the Cambridge goalkeeper, who was forced into making a number of great saves to deny St Albans.
From the restart St Albans penetrated the opposition’s circle and started to be awarded short corners. Tommy Pickersgill started the scoring with a drag flick from the top of the circle.
You may also want to watch:
Then on the next short corner Pickersgill’s shot was blocked but Scott Apps flicked the rebound over the Cambridge keeper to double the advantage.
The final goal came from Dave Williams who surged into the D and slid the ball under the advancing Cambridge ‘keeper to wrap up a 3-0 win.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 9 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 10 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant