Double-header weekend success as St Albans go top of the table
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club’s men enjoy a great return to action following the extended winter break by picking up two wins at the weekend.
They started on Saturday afternoon with a 4-1 success at home to Cambridge University before making it a double by going one better with a 5-1 home win against Saffron Walden.
The back-to-back victories sent them top of the East League Premier A table and they still have games in hand on the teams around them.
Saturday’s win saw David Williams, Matt Davey, Mark Lowden and Tariq Marcano on target.
And Sunday’s success saw Davey on target again, although this time he was joined by Steve McManus, Luke Kennedy and Jakob Plant twice.
You may also want to watch:
Kennedy’s goal was his first in the first team.
St Albans visit the Olympic Park to face third-placed Wapping this weekend and captain Davey said: “It’s always tough to maintain focus through a double-header weekend, but we managed to put together two good performances.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 10 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant