Double figure delight for Rovers
Herts Senior County Division One Harpenden Rovers 10 AFC Hatfield Town 1 HARPENDEN Rovers went goal crazy as they scored 10 times against second from bottom Hatfield Town on Saturday. The game started brightly and Rovers took the lead with only seven mi
Herts Senior County Division One
Harpenden Rovers 10
AFC Hatfield Town 1
HARPENDEN Rovers went goal crazy as they scored 10 times against second from bottom Hatfield Town on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
The game started brightly and Rovers took the lead with only seven minutes gone when Adam Price pounced on a dreadful blunder from the Hatfield keeper and calmly slotted home. On 15 minutes centre back Martin Smith scored probably the goal of the season when he chested the ball down, and unleashed an unstoppable volley past the keeper from 35 yards out.
However from the restart the Rovers defence fell asleep and allowed Hatfield to pull one back. Five minutes before the break Rovers extended their lead. They worked an excellent corner, which led to Haydn Williams striking the ball home from 15 yards.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 9 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 10 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
At half time Rovers made some changes with manager Jim Nicholls keen to push home their superiority.
When the game restarted it did not take long to kill the game off with quick goals from David Bounds (two), Smith, and Price.
Rovers introduced Dan Morris and he got in on the act netting a brace, and Rovers achieved double figures thanks to an own goal.
Neil Cannons was once again outstanding with David Bounds also having a particularly good game.
Team: Goodwin, Ellis (Fox 45), Cannons, Smith, Foster, Williams, Chugg, Golds (Norris 75), Bounds, Price (Hamer 80), Adams.
l Rovers Third team went top of West Herts Division Two table with a 4-1 win against Oxhey Jets B, Chris Coleman bagged yet another brace, to notch up his 21st and 22nd goals of the season.
Rovers' fourth team lost 3-1 in a close encounter against Oxhey Reserves and Rovers Vets also deserved something out of their game narrowly loosing 2-1 to Latimer Old Boys.