District swimming wins for St Albans
- Credit: Archant
St Albans District won two out of the six team categories at the Herts Secondary Schools Inter-District Swimming Championships, held in Watford.
Led by captains Charlotte Fillmore, of Marlborough School, and St Albans School’s Matthew Sherriff, St Albans District won the Junior Boys (years 7-8) by a significant margin and the Intermediate Girls (years 9-10) won a close fought battle with East Herts to come first by one point. The Senior Girls (years 11-13) were beaten into second place by two points.
Standout performers for St Albans were Harriet Hanson, who achieved a record in the senior girls’ butterfly, Reese Housden, who was first place in all his three junior boys’ events (individual medley, butterfly and medley relay), and Katialin Dang, who achieved two first places and a second in her three intermediate girls events (1st place in Breaststroke and Freestyle relay). In addition, the junior boys’ and girls’ teams won all their relays and the former won all their events except one, which was a second place.
Overall results showed that only a few points separated the top three districts, with St Albans District coming joint second with East Herts, very closely behind Watford.
“It was a fantastic achievement by all the team,” said manager Andrew Ellis.
You may also want to watch:
The best swimmers will now go on to represent East Region in the Inter-Divisional Championships in Sunderland in June.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site