District girls put on a show in historic clash
ST Albans Primary District Girls football team took on a Watford Primary District side at Clarence Park in a historic match for the McNally Cup, donated by Lord McNally. Coach Mark Simpson selected 12 girls representing seven schools to take on Watford
ST Albans Primary District Girls football team took on a Watford Primary District side at Clarence Park in a historic match for the McNally Cup, donated by Lord McNally.
Coach Mark Simpson selected 12 girls representing seven schools to take on Watford in a 30-minute match which is believed to be the first ever for a St Albans Primary District side.
Lorna Gear was confident in goal, with Karla Simpson and Gemma Broom assured in defence. Captain Rosie O'Regan played in central midfield, with Emily Ashley and Emma Sullivan both causing problems down the flanks and Leah Wattley in attack.
St Albans took the lead when a cross-shot from Emily Ashley caused problems and replacement Megan Breen put pressure on the goalkeeper with the ball ending up in the net.
You may also want to watch:
In the second 10-minute period Demi Harris and Amanda Gachowicz took over in defence, Tatjana Williams played on the right with Niketa Dinnall on the left and Megan continued up front with Rosie in central midfield. Watford equalised to set up the decisive third period. Karla Simpson was unfortunate to see her fine shot flash just wide before Watford struck the winner.
The match was played on Tuesday, August 5, prior to the St Albans City v Watford XI pre-season friendly.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 6 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital