Disappointing second half sees Tabard lose to Enfield Ignatians

Gerald Arasa looks for a gap. Picture: DANNY LOO

Gerald Arasa looks for a gap. Picture: DANNY LOO - Credit: Archant

Tabard fell to a narrow 13-11 defeat away to Enfield Ignatians in London North West Two despite leading 11-6 at half-time.

The Radlett-based rugby club looked to be comfortably in control in the first half of this game and were hoping to build on the good performances of recent weeks.

However, not coming to terms with the referee’s application of the laws at the breakdown and a degree of complacency ultimately cost them the match.

Enfield were in danger of being put to the sword by Tabard in the first half with Gerald Arasa in particular finding holes in the home side’s defence.

He was first to score when he stepped through the cover and strolled in from 40 metres for the opening try after just eight minutes following good work by the ever industrious Aaron Prisott.

Enfield scored with a penalty but moments later Tabard really should have had a second try but Charlie Sandison was dragged down just short.

Good pressure from Tabard again forced the home side to give away a penalty and Jack Reilly made no mistake.

Most Read

Enfield pulled back another three points when the referee saw Tabard offside in midfield before Reilly stretched the visitors haul to 11 with a drop goal on the stroke of half-time.

The second half did not go Tabard’s way and they were lucky in the end to come away with a losing bonus point.

Enfield started the half well and put Tabard under sustained pressure, resulting in the fly-half breaking through an attempted tackle and scoring next to the posts.

His conversion after 15 minutes gave them the lead they would not relinquish.

Enfield were now by far the livelier of the two sides. Not getting numbers to the breakdown saw the home side turn over Tabard ball time after time.

The Tabard scrum however had looked solid all afternoon and eventually the referee recognised this when he handed Jack Reilly a chance to put Tabard back in front after a collapse 40 metres out.

His attempt just missed to the left of the posts and Tabard were forced to defend for the final 10 minutes of what was a disappointing game from Tabard’s perspective.