Disappointing opening for St Albans against slick Stevenage Town
- Credit: Archant
Despite a late try by prop Dave Martin and some determined forward play St albans Rugby club lost their opening game of the season 32-5 to Stevenage Town.
The visitors to Boggymead for this London North West Three clash were most convincing through their slick, pacey back line and workmanlike forwards who made the most of the greasy conditions, playing simple effective rugby.
Saints will be hoping for a much improved performance when they travel to Hemel Hempstead on Saturday.
Hemel got their campaign off to a good start, winning 41-6 at Finchley.
St Albans’ second team, however, had better fortune against Ampthill Veterans, winning 22–14.
Ed Coy, Dougie Trial, Andrew Still got their tries.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 7 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead