Differing emotions for Harpenden and St Albans rugby stars
- Credit: Andy Taylor/atsportphoto
Two of the area’s brightest rugby stars were left with differing emotions after both made their professional debuts at the weekend.
Harpenden’s World U20 championship winner Jack Singelton started in Worcester Warriors’ 31-25 success over Bristol in the Anglo-Welsh Cup.
The hooker tweeted: “Chuffed to have got my first start in a Warriors shirt, but more importantly to get the first win of the campaign.”
However, for St Albans’ Nick Isiekwe there was a bitter-sweet ending to his first start in a Saracens jersey.
Having led 25-5 at the break at Kingsholm, the youthful side were hit by a stunning Gloucester comeback, the Cherry and Whites going on to win 36-32.
You may also want to watch:
Academy coach Ian Vass told www.saracens.com: “There’s a few lessons for us to learn, that’s for sure but this is a young side and they’ll be better for this experience in the long run.
“Gloucester played very well in the second half, credit to them for how they got back into the game and they finished it off.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 5 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 8 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 9 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
“But we’re disappointed to lose that game.”