Differing emotions for Harpenden and St Albans rugby stars
- Credit: Andy Taylor/atsportphoto
Two of the area’s brightest rugby stars were left with differing emotions after both made their professional debuts at the weekend.
Harpenden’s World U20 championship winner Jack Singelton started in Worcester Warriors’ 31-25 success over Bristol in the Anglo-Welsh Cup.
The hooker tweeted: “Chuffed to have got my first start in a Warriors shirt, but more importantly to get the first win of the campaign.”
However, for St Albans’ Nick Isiekwe there was a bitter-sweet ending to his first start in a Saracens jersey.
Having led 25-5 at the break at Kingsholm, the youthful side were hit by a stunning Gloucester comeback, the Cherry and Whites going on to win 36-32.
You may also want to watch:
Academy coach Ian Vass told www.saracens.com: “There’s a few lessons for us to learn, that’s for sure but this is a young side and they’ll be better for this experience in the long run.
“Gloucester played very well in the second half, credit to them for how they got back into the game and they finished it off.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
“But we’re disappointed to lose that game.”