Differing emotions for Harpenden and St Albans rugby stars
- Credit: Andy Taylor/atsportphoto
Two of the area’s brightest rugby stars were left with differing emotions after both made their professional debuts at the weekend.
Harpenden’s World U20 championship winner Jack Singelton started in Worcester Warriors’ 31-25 success over Bristol in the Anglo-Welsh Cup.
The hooker tweeted: “Chuffed to have got my first start in a Warriors shirt, but more importantly to get the first win of the campaign.”
However, for St Albans’ Nick Isiekwe there was a bitter-sweet ending to his first start in a Saracens jersey.
Having led 25-5 at the break at Kingsholm, the youthful side were hit by a stunning Gloucester comeback, the Cherry and Whites going on to win 36-32.
Academy coach Ian Vass told www.saracens.com: “There’s a few lessons for us to learn, that’s for sure but this is a young side and they’ll be better for this experience in the long run.
“Gloucester played very well in the second half, credit to them for how they got back into the game and they finished it off.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time
“But we’re disappointed to lose that game.”