Devoti shoots Harpenden Rovers to victory
West Herts Premier League Cup Oxhey Jets A 0 Harpenden Rovers 1 HARPENDEN Rovers needed a win to keep their Premier Division cup hopes alive when they went away to Oxhey Jets A on Saturday. The windy conditions made playing football very difficult but Ro
West Herts Premier League Cup
Oxhey Jets A 0 Harpenden Rovers 1
HARPENDEN Rovers needed a win to keep their Premier Division cup hopes alive when they went away to Oxhey Jets A on Saturday.
The windy conditions made playing football very difficult but Rovers completely dominated the first half with Man of the Match Ally Watson and Ollie Wedd dominating in the centre.
Missed chances from Rovers in the first half meant the score was 0-0 at the break but the visitors were in determined mood and continued to attack in the second half.
The break through final came with 25 minutes remaining when Wedd swung in a corner for skipper Steve Jones to flick on and Gareth Devoti turned sharply to fire the winning goal.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
The Harpenden Rovers seconds recorded a great result with numerous players and their management team missing at home against high flying SWR garage doors. The players who came in did a great job and two goals from Chris Coleman secured a draw. Stand in management duo Gary Scott and Paul Naismith were delighted.
The Rovers Vets had a special result beating a very strong Colney Heath Vets in the quarter final of the Vets County Cup. The first half was an even affair with Rovers defending the slope with the back four of D Stevens, Martin, Gay and Scott playing like Trojans.
The second half saw more Rovers pressure with a number of chances falling to the impressive Mair and Alan Stephens. The pressure was finally rewarded when Kevin Butler tapped the ball home for 1-0.
At this point Rovers seemed to be cruising but with five minutes to go Heath equalised to create a dramatic ending. From the resulting kick off Rovers attacked and Alan Stevens took the opportunity to round the Colney Heath goalkeeper for 2-1. In the final minutes excellent goalkeeping from Man of the Match Ivan 'Ogger' Gould ensured Rovers made it to the semi finals with a home draw against Met Police