Development Squad sweep Tigers
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Centurions Development Squad completed a sweep over Bedford Tigers A team with a 34-16 win on Saturday.
Cents won the reverse fixture by just two points in a close, four-try game. This time out, the teams combined for 10 tries and Cents ran out comfortable winners.
With no senior game in the East Rugby League competition this week, coach Andy Lake ran the ruler over young and new players. As per the rules of the London Merit League, the teams consisted of players who were new to rugby league or have only played a few games this season.
Both sides showed good defence as they played mainly error-free rugby, and both sides confidently tackled and repelled attacks. Cents showed good ball skills as they played rugby league in its most basic form and most of the spectators were not surprised as they ran in five tries and several conversions to be leading 26-0 at half-time.
Lake changed the side at the break, putting players in different positions, which evened the game up in the second half as Tigers scored three converted tries to Cents’ two unconverted tries.
You may also want to watch:
After the game, the coach said: “Once again, it was another good showing by these players, most of whom are new to rugby league. We pride ourselves that our game is simple to learn but hard, fast and skilful to play, and these players are finding this out. A good showing today, and a great result.”
Centurions’ first team are back in action this Saturday when they travel to Breckland Spartans at Thetford.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 10 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant