Depleted Blueboys suffer defeat at Kings Langley

Only third defeat of the season for London Colney

SSML Division One

Kings Langley 4

London Colney 0

LONDON Colney suffered only their third league defeat of the season when they were handed a Christmas stuffing at Kings Langley.

The Blueboys went into the clash without goalkeeper Mark Whittamore, Greg Shaw, Danny Fitzgerald, Bruce Hutchinson and Trevor Stevens resulting in 16-year-old Jack Woods being handed a start in midfield.

The hosts started with intent as Craig Lynskey and Jimmy Armstrong both forced stand-in ‘keeper John Gregory into action, the latter being denied by a smart one handed stop.

Most Read

Chances fell to the Blueboys Matt Newman and Jimmy Warner but Newman saw his shot blocked while Warner was saved by Ross Hampton.

Langley took the lead when Steve Noonan headed home at the far post and before Colney had time to recover they found themselves two goals down when a high ball into the box was prodded home by Sam Wardell.

The Blueboys had a great chance to pull a goal back when Newman’s free kick fell for John Butler but he sliced his shot wide of the target.

Armstrong was presented with a good opportunity to extend Kings Langley’s lead but, with the goal at his mercy, he blazed over the bar.

Colney were creating chances but couldn’t find a way past Hampton as both Craig Knightley and Warner saw efforts kept out by the home custodian.

Blueboys boss Ryan Thompson took teenager Woods out of the firing line at half-time bringing Sam Wilkinson on in his place but the replacement didn’t last long as a knock ended his involvement. Wilkinson’s place was taken by veteran midfielder David Towndrow.

Newman had Colney’s first effort on goal in the second half letting fly from 25 yards but again Hampton was equal to it, tipping the ball away from danger. From the resulting corner Kenny Hull found Butler but his header was off target.

Thompson’s side felt they should have had a penalty when Newman was sent tumbling inside the area by Hampton but all they got from the referee was a corner kick. That incident saw ‘keeper Hampton sustain an injury and after treatment on the pitch the Langley stopper was replaced by Ross Channer who saved well from Warner after he’d been teed up by Newman.

With the Blueboys pushing forward in a bid to salvage a point they were caught out twice in added time as Armstrong and Noonan both fired home to round off a bad day at the office for London Colney.

London Colney: Gregory; Hull, McCafferty, Saul, Paradise, Sutton (Thomas), Woods (Wilkinson (Towndrow)), Knightley, Newman, Warner, Butler.