Depleted Blueboys beat St Margaretsbury
A depleted London Colney side picked up a 2-0 win over St Margaretsbury on Non-League Day at Cotlandswick.
Without Jimmy Hartley, Jason Beck, Russell Gallagher, Martin Collins and Greg Shaw, either due to injuries or unavailability, the Blueboys turned to Cain Davey and Jimmy Warner to get a result.
Davey opened the scoring in the eighth minute as he turned in Warners’ low cross following good work from Sean Ridgeway. The pair tried to repeat the trick minutes later but Danny Charles was on hand to hack the ball clear and keep the score at 1-0.
At the other end, Jack Smith had to be alert to deny Mark Summers, Ricky Light and Davy Edmee as St Margaretsbury pushed for an equaliser.
As the first half was drawing to a close, Colney popped up with a second goal. Ridgeway played a long ball forward to Warner who, after shrugging off a defender, drew the keeper out and calmly placed the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the net to make it 2-0.
You may also want to watch:
In the second half, the Blueboys’ main threat came from Spencer Clarke-Mardel but four times he was denied, the final time by the offside flag after he found the net, and the game ended 2-0.
The result sees them up to seventh in the SSML Premier Division. This Saturday Jim Nicholls’ side travel to Brentwood in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 6 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
The club is running a coach to the game and seats are available. To book your spot, ring Terry on 07443 541477. The cost is £5.