Defeat for St Albans City despite battling performance against Maidstone
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City good form came to an end on Saturday with a 2-1 defeat at home to Maidstone United – but they gave the promotion chasers a real fright.
It was their first loss in five games and only their second reverse in seven and it keeps them in the relegation zone, although they remain just three points adrift of safety.
As has been the norm recently Saints shipped an early goal, Joe Healy putting Maidstone into an eighth minute lead.
But what has also been the norm is City recovering to hit an equaliser, and it came on 27 minutes from the Vanarama National League South Player of the Month, Louie Theophanous.
But an Alex Flisher goal six minutes into the second half consigned St Albans to defeat although it wasn’t for want of trying.
You may also want to watch:
Photographer Leigh Page captured the best of the action form Clarence park.
Next up is a trip to Maidenhead United on Saturday.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 8 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 9 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
Kick-off is at 3pm.