Debutants impress on the south coast
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City gave a trio of players their debuts on Saturday and all three impressed the management.
Steve Wales and Warren Whitely signed for City on Friday while goalkeeper Tom Coulton was making his Calor Southern League debut in place of the suspended Paul Bastock.
After the game, joint manager James Gray praised his new signings.
“I think Steve did will; he was getting into the positions he wants to be in and he had three or four shots. It was a good debut and he got 90 minutes under his belt; he’ll definitely add something to the team [in the run-in.]
“Warren looked lively when he came on. He’s another player that will add to the team. He’s another option; he’s got raw pace and a good delivery. If we can get him behind the defence then he should give us ammunition to score.”
You may also want to watch:
Coulton’s full debut came last season when he put in a brilliant performance to help City beat Bishop’s Stortford 3-2 in the Herts Charity Cup final.
However, the University of Hertfordshire student has been understudy to Bastock this season and has not seen much playing time. But with Bastock suspended for another two games, Coulton will be City’s number one goalkeeper.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 3 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 4 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 5 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
Despite his inexperience, Gray trusts in Coulton’s ability.
“He’s a young lad in first team and he was a bit nervous but I thought it was a solid display. He was demanding [in the box] and did well on his punches. “Hopefully, he can pick up confidence from the game.”