Dean Austin backs Gareth Bale and Jose Mourinho to boost Tottenham’s fortunes
- Credit: PA
Gareth Bale’s imminent return to Tottenham Hotspur could be a huge boost for all connected with the club according to former Spurs star Dean Austin.
The Welshman has jetted in from Spain to complete a sensational return to the club he starred for before a huge move to Real Madrid.
And Austin, who made over 120 appearances for the club, says if they can get him anywhere near his best, it could be monumental for the season ahead.
He said: “It’ll be a massive lift for the football club.
“I’m hoping they can get a couple of years out of him but if they can get him at 80 per cent of what he was before he left then he will be sensational.
You may also want to watch:
“The year and a half before he went, he was as good as anything you saw.
“He ticks an enormous number of boxes. He plays as a number nine for Wales so if you have a problem with Harry Kane then you could play Bale down the middle.”
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 7 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
The popular full-back, now working to build an academy at St Albans City, also backed Jose Mourinho to get it right at the club.
He said: “Jose Mourinho has been a master over many years of winning trophies at clubs that have good players.
“They are getting themselves a core of good players.
“All I hope is he can do a little bit for Tottenham like he’s done at his previous clubs.
“I definitely wouldn’t bet against him.”