Day takes silver in Sheffield
STAGS pupil ranked second in UK
JUDO: ST ALBANS Girls’ School pupil Lucy Day claimed silver at the British Judo Championships on Sunday.
The 13-year-old came second in the pre-cadet girls under 48kg category at the event in Sheffield after successfully coming through three contests to make the final.
This championship attracts the very best judo players in the UK and is the main ranking tournament for judo. Day, who competes for St Albans Judo Club, began her campaign with a hard fought first contest, in which Day threw her opponent for a seven point score then held the player down on the mat for a further 20 seconds to win.
Day won her second contest with an enormous throw, scoring 10 points for an outright win in under 10 seconds. Progressing into the semi-finals at the top of her pool, Day again threw her opponent and held her down for 20 seconds to progress into the final.
You may also want to watch:
After a procession of all medallists, Day emerged to fight in the final in front of hundreds of spectators. This tough contest saw Day and her opponent grapple for the best grips and positions, but after some good techniques Day was defeated.
Day was awarded a well deserved silver medal and is currently ranked second in the UK in the national ranking points table for pre-cadet girls under 48kg.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 8 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images