Day takes silver in Sheffield
STAGS pupil ranked second in UK
JUDO: ST ALBANS Girls’ School pupil Lucy Day claimed silver at the British Judo Championships on Sunday.
The 13-year-old came second in the pre-cadet girls under 48kg category at the event in Sheffield after successfully coming through three contests to make the final.
This championship attracts the very best judo players in the UK and is the main ranking tournament for judo. Day, who competes for St Albans Judo Club, began her campaign with a hard fought first contest, in which Day threw her opponent for a seven point score then held the player down on the mat for a further 20 seconds to win.
Day won her second contest with an enormous throw, scoring 10 points for an outright win in under 10 seconds. Progressing into the semi-finals at the top of her pool, Day again threw her opponent and held her down for 20 seconds to progress into the final.
After a procession of all medallists, Day emerged to fight in the final in front of hundreds of spectators. This tough contest saw Day and her opponent grapple for the best grips and positions, but after some good techniques Day was defeated.
Day was awarded a well deserved silver medal and is currently ranked second in the UK in the national ranking points table for pre-cadet girls under 48kg.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival