Day crowned British champion
- Credit: Archant
Judo star Lucy Day, a Year 11 student at St Albans Girls’ School, was crowned British Cadet Champion 2014 on Sunday at the major UK Judo event of the year for top U18s.
Day won gold in her under 57kg category at the event in Sheffield.
In the tournament Day swept through her early fights winning with Ippons (10 point scores) deploying her trade mark Uchi Mata throws, hold downs and an arm lock, finally winning a tough tactical fight against bronze medallist and fellow Redbridge Judo Club member, Chloe Alvis.
In the gold medal contest Day threw again and successfully used a hold down to achieve another 10 point win and take the top prize.
Day, who is on the Herts Talented Athlete Programme, said: “I was happy to win, but it was tough, the pressure was really on because I am ranked as no 1 in the UK everyone expected me to win.”
You may also want to watch:
This Saturday Day will be hoping for success in the Junior Championships. The next step is competing in major European Judo Cup events in 2015.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 7 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 8 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 9 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 10 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'