Davies continues his fine form with another podium finish
- Credit: Archant
Clay Davies followed his first place at the Milton Keynes Central League road race last week with a fine third at the Finchley RT race, near Royston.
The Verulam ReallyMoving rider had company at the sharp end of the race, held on a brand-new circuit at Great Chishill, in the shape of team-mate Michael Parry.
And while Davies made the podium, Parry impressed behind, finishing seventh.
Davies said: “Michael and I rode aggressively near the front but there were three big teams working closely together which made it impossible for a small break to get away.
“But, around three miles from the finish, we had moved into the top five places when there was a crash behind us.
You may also want to watch:
“That enabled one rider to get up the road so I finished third with Michael doing well in the bunch sprint to take seventh.”
On the same day, the team’s directeur sportive [manager], Marcel Six, took seventh place in the BRRT Summer Road Race.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 7 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 8 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 9 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
Six said: “Our plan was to get John Jones, Andy Whale or Gavin Bench into a break to try for a top-three placing.
“However, a combination of fast roads and strong winds made it almost impossible to commit for a long period, so with two laps to go we focussed on getting a top-10 in the sprint.
“John and I entered the finishing climb together near the front, and I managed to get seventh.”
Consistent with the racing team’s ethos of ‘putting something back into the sport’, this weekend the team is hosting it’s very own road race for the first time.
As part of the Central Road Race League, riders will descend upon Cranfield in Bedfordshire on Sunday for two races.
First up will be a 62-mile men’s race for category two, three and four riders.
That will be followed by a 50-mile women’s race for the same categories.
Starting at 10am and 2pm respectively, the events have already attracted an impressive entry list.
But with a strong team from Verulam Reallymoving Racing Team, they will be looking to continue their recent successes.