David Bailey picture perfect for Wheato
West Herts League Harpenden Rovers 1 Wheathampstead Wanderers 9 Wheathampstead ran up their biggest score of the season beating near neighbours Harpenden Rovers 9-1 away. Rovers started strongly and soon scored with a fine finish. David Bailey levelled
West Herts League
Harpenden Rovers 1 Wheathampstead Wanderers 9
Wheathampstead ran up their biggest score of the season beating near neighbours Harpenden Rovers 9-1 away.
Rovers started strongly and soon scored with a fine finish.
You may also want to watch:
David Bailey levelled from the spot and just before the break Dean Birch celebrated his comeback from injury, cleverly clipping the ball over the 'keeper from a tight angle to put the visitors 2-1 up.
As in recent weeks Wanderers improved their football in the second half and the goals followed.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 5 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 6 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 9 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
- 10 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
Crowd favourite Bailey completed his hat-trick, Jamie Dawes achieved the same and Angus Raeside scored his 10th of the season.
The best strike though came when Josh Mawhinney cut in from the right and buried a dipping left foot shot just under the bar from the edge of the Harpenden penalty area.
Centre-halves Jason Pawlaczek and Frankie Buckler both impressed and defender turned stand-in 'keeper Andy Bromwich was cool under pressure in goal.
This week the Wanderers travel to Oxhey for the semi-final of the Sir Stanley Rous Cup.