Daish named Sweden captain for Singapore 7s
OAs’ star to lead Vikings in Asia
OLD ALBANIAN back-row star Andy Daish has been named captain of the Swedish national sevens team for the Singapore Cricket Club Sevens tournament.
Daish, who featured for the 15-man national side in their 24-18 victory over Croatia in the European Nations Cup Pool 2A, will lead the 11-man squad in Asia.
The Swedish Vikings kick off their campaign tomorrow (Friday) when they take on Te Kaha Pirates (New Zealand navy) before back-to-back games on Saturday against Japanese sides Tamarvia RFC and Japan Samurais (Japan national side).
The Swedes also participated in the 2001 edition of the tournament when Stephen Donald, scorer of the All Blacks’ match winning points in this year’s Rugby World Cup Final at Eden Park, featured for the Vikings.
You may also want to watch:
The tournament provides Sweden with preparation ahead of their bid to qualify for the Grand Prix series with the nation’s long term goal being to seek a place at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
In the 15-man format of the game, Sweden currently top Pool 2A in the European Nations Cup having accumulated six points from their two games. Their next ENC outing is in April 2012 when they travel to Malta.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 9 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 10 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism