Daish named Sweden captain for Singapore 7s
OAs’ star to lead Vikings in Asia
OLD ALBANIAN back-row star Andy Daish has been named captain of the Swedish national sevens team for the Singapore Cricket Club Sevens tournament.
Daish, who featured for the 15-man national side in their 24-18 victory over Croatia in the European Nations Cup Pool 2A, will lead the 11-man squad in Asia.
The Swedish Vikings kick off their campaign tomorrow (Friday) when they take on Te Kaha Pirates (New Zealand navy) before back-to-back games on Saturday against Japanese sides Tamarvia RFC and Japan Samurais (Japan national side).
The Swedes also participated in the 2001 edition of the tournament when Stephen Donald, scorer of the All Blacks’ match winning points in this year’s Rugby World Cup Final at Eden Park, featured for the Vikings.
The tournament provides Sweden with preparation ahead of their bid to qualify for the Grand Prix series with the nation’s long term goal being to seek a place at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
In the 15-man format of the game, Sweden currently top Pool 2A in the European Nations Cup having accumulated six points from their two games. Their next ENC outing is in April 2012 when they travel to Malta.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 4 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 5 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Author's new book explores mental health during the pandemic