Daish named Sweden captain for Singapore 7s
OAs’ star to lead Vikings in Asia
OLD ALBANIAN back-row star Andy Daish has been named captain of the Swedish national sevens team for the Singapore Cricket Club Sevens tournament.
Daish, who featured for the 15-man national side in their 24-18 victory over Croatia in the European Nations Cup Pool 2A, will lead the 11-man squad in Asia.
The Swedish Vikings kick off their campaign tomorrow (Friday) when they take on Te Kaha Pirates (New Zealand navy) before back-to-back games on Saturday against Japanese sides Tamarvia RFC and Japan Samurais (Japan national side).
The Swedes also participated in the 2001 edition of the tournament when Stephen Donald, scorer of the All Blacks’ match winning points in this year’s Rugby World Cup Final at Eden Park, featured for the Vikings.
You may also want to watch:
The tournament provides Sweden with preparation ahead of their bid to qualify for the Grand Prix series with the nation’s long term goal being to seek a place at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
In the 15-man format of the game, Sweden currently top Pool 2A in the European Nations Cup having accumulated six points from their two games. Their next ENC outing is in April 2012 when they travel to Malta.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 6 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 7 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 8 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN