Daish leads Vikings to Plate semi-finals
OAs forward captains Sweden in Singapore Sevens
OLD ALBANIAN forward Andy Daish led the Swedish Vikings to the semi-finals of the Plate competition at the Singapore Cricket Club Sevens tournament over the weekend.
The 27-year-old captained the Vikings as they finished second in Pool F behind Japan Samurais – the Japanese national side – before making it through to the semi-finals of the second string Plate competition.
Tim Jackson was the Swede’s hero in their first outing, scoring 10 points, as they beat the Te Kaha Pirates (New Zealand Navy) 24-0.
The Vikings then beat Japanese club side Tama Riva RFC 22-5 with Daish leading the way with 10 points before a 17-0 defeat to Japan Samurais in their final pool game.
You may also want to watch:
Second place in the pool handed Daish’s team a tie with Malaysian based New Zealanders Cobra in the first knockout stage of the Ablitt Cup but Cobra proved too strong for the Scandinavians running out 36-7 winners.
That defeat saw Sweden go into the Plate competition where they came face-to-face with Tama Riva RFC once more. The Swedes again triumphed with Tobias Borg racking up 12 points in the 26-5 triumph.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 5 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 6 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 7 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Shortages crisis hits district
That set up a semi-final showdown with Casaruina Cougars but this game proved to be the end of the road for Daish’s side in the competition as they suffered a 12-5 defeat.
Fijian side Daveta were the overall winners of the competition while French side NAPTHA Pyreness7s won the Plate competition.
Sweden squad: Thomas Arvidsson (Frederiksberg, DK); Tobias Borg (Enk�pings RK); Oliver Callaghan (Lewes, ENG); Andrew Daish (captain) (Old Albanian RFC, ENG); Robin Fransson (V�nersborgs RK); Ian Gowland (Stockholm Exiles RFC); Tim Johansson (Enk�pings RK); Lee Sandberg (Cambridge RFC, ENG); Alex Taylor (Hammarby IF); Rikus van Niekerk (Stockholm Exiles RFC); Richard �rnberg (Hammarby IF).