D-Day looms for St Albans City after Wealdstone draw

Louie Theophanous put St Albans into an early lead against Wealdstone. Picture: LEIGH PAGE

Louie Theophanous put St Albans into an early lead against Wealdstone. Picture: LEIGH PAGE - Credit: Archant

St Albans City’s fate in the Vanarama National League South will be decided on the final day of the season – after this 1-1 draw away to Wealdstone.

Results elsewhere did City no favours with Margate and Havant & Waterlooville both winning, although Hayes & Yeading United look destined for the drop after a 3-0 defeat against Bath City.

It means City are just one point above the drop zone although Havant below them have a game in hand this Thursday.

Louie Theophanous put Saints ahead early on but an own-goal levelled things up before half-time.

And with the hosts slightly more on top in the second 45, City will be happy with a point.

The game started perfectly for St Albans with a goal on four minutes.

A quick break found Anderson through the middle. He pushed it to his left for Theophanous to curl around Jonathan North in the home goal.

Most Read

And for the rest of the half it looked as if City would go on to win comfortably.

Lee Chappell’s long throws were causing plenty of panic in the home box with North not looking confident.

In front of him his defenders were desperately blocking anything that moved. It wasn’t pretty but it was effective.

Michael Thalassitis put one over the bar and Elliott Godfrey had to scramble another off the line.

Harry Anderson had the best chance but he was perhaps guilty of over-elaborating, throwing one twist in too many before firing right-footed into the side-netting.

But if City needed an explanation of the value of scoring while on top they got one seven minutes from the end of the half, and in the cruellest of circumstances.

A free-kick from the right was swung in by Scott Davies with a Wealdstone flashing at it but missing. That miss led to the ball striking James Kaloczi and looping over Joe Welch.

That made for a nervy finish to the half and City seemed grateful for the half-time whistle.

The pattern of play was a lot more even in the opening exchanges of the second period with City’s nerves, or at least a fear of losing, still in evidence.

Welch had to come out strongly to punch clear a corner and St Albans were indebted to their custodian for a stunning save on the hour to deny Davies.

Saints struggled to get shots on target, Theophanous with a swift turn put one wide and a Corcoran effort, which was blocked, were their best attempts.

In the end a point was probably a fair result and all roads lead to Clarence Park next Saturday for a showdown with Dartford.

City: Welch, Thomas, Kaloczi (Bangura 78), Thalassitis, Oshodi, Martin, Anderson, Corcoran, Theophanous, Thalassitis, MacDonald (Bender 61), Chappell

Subs (not used): Locke, Green, Gibson

Goals: Theophanous 4

Wealdstone: North, Smith, Binns, Parker, Hamblin, Godfrey, Wright, McLeod-Urquhart, Demetriou (Louis 67), Davies, Hudson-Odoi (Mavila 46)

Subs (not used): Lucien, Kalenga, McGleish

Goals: Kaloczi og 38

Attendance: 777

Vanarama National League South (bottom):

18. Margate 47pts


20. Havant & Waterlooville 45

21. Hayes & Yeading United 43

22. Basingstoke Town 35 (R)

*Havant have two games left; all the rest have one.