Cup holders safely through

The latest Herts Advertiser Sunday League roundup


Cup holders Harpenden Colts Old Boys cruised into the Herts Advertiser Knockout Cup Quarter Final with a comfortable 6-0 win over Colney Heath Rangers, writes Brian Hubball.

James Warner hit a hat-trick and there was a brace from Man of the Match Matt Richardson and a well taken strike from Colin Arnsby.

Tom Dyball was in good form for Colts on the flank providing three assists.

Harpenden Arms progressed into the next round with a very good 4-2 win against Premier League team Vision.

It was Harpenden who took the early advantage with Rob Walker slotting home with five minutes on the clock. The second half saw the game burst into life with Vision getting the equaliser through Joel Norris but James Ewington restored Harpenden’s advantage.

Most Read

Norris then grabbed a second equaliser but a second from Ewington - from the penalty spot - and Tom Collin’s close range finish handed Harpenden victory.

Goals from Antony Burns (two) and Bradley Gorman saw Blackberry Jack progress to the quarter finals following a 3-0 win against Beaver Travel.

Burns opened the scoring with a header from a corner and his second came after a fumble from the goalkeeper from a 25-yard shot. Gorman finished the tie with a close range finish.

A depleted Oaks side were comprehensively beaten by Nicholas Breakspear OBs.

Despite a bright start Oaks were quickly under pressure from the Premier Division league leaders and conceded three goals during a one-way first half.

The second half saw Breakspear continue to dominate with some fluid football leading to two excellent goals putting the game beyond any doubt at 5-0.

However, Oaks workrate was ceaseless as they continued to press the opposition and were finally rewarded as veteran full back Tony Maher crashed home a free kick into the top corner to the delight of the Oaks support, leaving the final score 5-1.

Breakspear’s goals came from Cain Davey (two) and singles by Danny Fitzgerald, Josh Humbert and David Parkinson.

A makeshift Church End side were soundly beaten 6-2 by Potters Bar, the Church goals coming from Harry Blackman, with a lovely half volley from the edge of the area, and John Rowland with a great run and finish for his first goal in four years, this after missing a penalty.

Potters Bar’s goals came from; Adam Getliffe and Ben Southam with two apiece plus Matt Lochrie and Robert Frame singles.

Goals by Dan Bathurst, Sam Mitchell and Ben Martin edged Skew Bridge into the next round following their hard earned 3-2 win against AFC Rangers. Stefano Geraldes and Stephen Doyle replied for Rangers.


RAIDERS United and Radlett Village’s clash had everything you could want from a cup match.

Raiders raced into a 2-0 lead after Ben Woodman twice beat the offside trap to tuck home.

Village pulled a goal back before Raiders scored again when Mark Richards and Leighton Dewitt linked up down the right but two more well taken goals by Village meant half time was all square at 3-3.

Both teams had chances to win it in extra time but had to settle for the lottery in the penalty shootout.

Glynn Colby and Dean Colby held their nerves and after Radlett Village missed their third penalty, Mark Richards scored the winning penalty. United have now won more games against higher division opposition, than in their league games. Radlett’s goals came from Darren Harris, James Welch and Garvin Fisher scoring

A brace from Michael Langton gave Footy Pants a hard-earned 2-0 win against Three Hammers.

Herts Advertiser Junior Cup

Brookmans Park A had a 2-1 win against Colney Heath Rangers Res thanks to goals from Mark Boot and Ronnie Dunn. Dan James replied for Rangers.

In an end-to-end encounter, in-form Wheathampstead ‘89 overcame Old Albanians Res 3-1 with goals from Lee Bennett (two) and Duncan Gray.

Although going down 2-1 in extra time against Bar 62, the Wood put in their best show of the season after Luke Tremlett had given them the lead.

Herts Advertiser Reserve Cup

Queens Head Sandridge Res went ahead early in the first half against Phoenix A when Ryan Yuill crossed for Dave Yeo to head home.

After the restart, Yeo broke away to fire against the crossbar but his strike partner Yuill was on hand to head home the rebound to make it 2-0.

The home team replied almost immediately through Sam Bozier who fired a curling shot beyond Paul Marsh in the Queens Head goal to make it 2-1 going into the break.

The second half saw the visitors raise their game and from an early corner kick they fired a shot against the arm of a Phoenix defender inside the box. A penalty was awarded and the resulting kick was well dispatched by Ross Elliott.

Minutes later, Yeo worked some room for himself just outside the home team’s box before he curled the ball to the far corner to make it 4-1 to the visitors.

With pressure now mounting on the home team and with the introduction of Adam Fowler on the right wing, Queens Head launched another attack, this time seeing a shot parried by the Phoenix ‘keeper into the path of Fowler who volleyed the ball into the roof of the net.

Yeo again broke loose in the final minute of the game to unselfishly square the ball into the path of Adam Fowler to net his second as Queens Head ran out 6-1 winners.


Queens Head came away from their home game with London Road feeling more than upset after a game-changing decision in the second half.

After a very entertaining first half where both teams played some good football it was hard to believe it was still 0-0 at half time. Frankie Jowle was always a threat for London Road and Matt Day was marshalled very well by Robbie Heywood at the back.

The second half was even with both teams carving out good chances but neither side were able to take the lead. John Murphy in the Queens goal made two excellent finger tip saves and London Road’s keeper saved well at the feet of Chris Martin. After some good football between Chris Martin and Phil Turner, Dave Corran was released and was brought down in the London Road penalty box. Referee Kevin Moore pointed straight to the spot for what was a clear cut penalty only to change his mind after consulting the linesman. This decision was the turning point for the game. Road continued to use Frankie Jowle as their outlet and it was his pace and craft that set up two chances for Matt Day to make the final score 2-0.

Mark Addlesee scored twice as Phoenix defeated Hogs Blacksmiths 5-1. Stefan Day, pictured above, Liam Addlesee and Dan Burrows also scored while Anthony Arnold replied for Hogs.


Lifted Music’s poor run of luck continued as they once again dominated against Six Bells but finished with no points.

Aaron Clarke’s goal ensured Six Bells took the points despite Lifted hitting the woodwork three times after the break.

Bradmore started very strongly against Brookmans Park and it didn’t take long to score with a well taken lob from Paul Newton.

The second half was all Brookmans Park as Bradmore could just not get going, but for all their possession the Park could not score with Paul Mott in the Bradmore goal pulling of some fine saves. The best was in the last 30 seconds with a brave dive at the Park’s striker’s feet to thwart what would have been a deserved equaliser. This was Bradmore’s first clean sheet of the season and sends them joint top of the division.


White Horse recorded their first league win of the season, overcoming Icarus 2-1 with goals from Ross Ypey and Matty Eden.


The Marquis of Granby played well against Nicholas Breakspear OBs Res, leading 2-1 in the first half with goals from Callum Fowler and Robert Ash.

In the second half Nicholas Breakspear came back into the game scoring two more and taking the lead, with Ryan Hearne (two) and Alex Songalia netting.

Marquis grabbed a draw with a Ross Dempsey goal.

St Albans IFC produced an outstanding team performance to defeat previously unbeaten Skew Bridge Res 3-2.

Early goals from Luke Campion and Calum Marjoram put IFC ahead but Skew pulled one back before Spencer Clarke-Mardel notched IFC’s third.

IFC had chances for a fourth and also rode their luck, but a deserved 3-2 win over one of the title favourites. Skew’s goals came from Steve Jones and Steve Harris.

Four goals by Russ Gallagher helped AFC Crown to a 9-2 victory against Brookmans Park Res. The other goals came from Gary Edwards (two), Colin Cattermole, Mark Gallagher and Mark Pearson. Park replied through Karl Hardman and Mike Burrows.


New signing Russell Twigg had the impact manager Brett Harrison was hoping for when he struck all four goals as Hare & Hounds Res opened up a seven point lead at the top of Division Four with a 4-2 win over Herts Mauritian.

Twigg pounced on two defensive lapses to put the Hounds two up, but credit to the Mauritians as they stormed back to draw level before the break with two excellent goals from Mohamed Hussain and Alex Edwards.

Mauritian had no answer to Twigg after the break who took his tally to four for the day with two more expert finishes. Twigg rightly took the Man of the Match award. The game was a credit to the division and was expertly handled by referee Brian Wright.

Both White Horse Res and St Albans Royals started slowly in this contest.

The second half saw Royals start much better and put pressure on White Horse which led to a corner headed in by Matt Brand. White Horse caught a sleepy Royals defence to equalise through Shane Devine. Royals’ star man was Greg Moloney.

Harpenden Colts Old Boys Res’ recent fine form continued with a 2-1 win over Marshallswick Rovers thanks to goals from Steven Easterbrook and Robbie Barker. Man of the Match Connor Brown was outstanding on his Colts debut and was well supported by Jack Anscombe and Lewis Paul.


Table toppers Dukes dropped their first points of the season when struggling Wheathampstead Res held them to a 1-1 draw.

It took a 25-yard run from full-back Oliver Tindale to drill home Dukes’ only goal but Wheathampstead equalised on 85 minutes through Dan Savine.

Greenwood Park picked up the three points with a 3-2 victory over Cottonmill. Greenwood started the game the stronger and midway through the first half they deservedly took the lead when Dave Baylis buried the ball in the back of the net from six yards.

Shortly before half time Cottonmill equalised, however right on half-time Matt Thorn went close for Greenwood but was denied firstly by the ‘keeper and then his follow up hit the bar.

After the break and against the run of play Cottonmill took the lead. Their lead only last for 10 minutes as some good work from Matt West and Nick Fanshaw led to Stuart Dempsey scoring a diving header from close range to level the scores.

Greenwood were not prepared to settle for a point and looked for the winner and with five minutes to go they found it as Thorn latched on to a through ball from Andy Dunstan, and then squared to Baylis who saw his shot saved but Rob Barron was on hand to net the winner.

Greenwood’s Man of the Match was Thorn while Mill’s marksmen were Lee Sturgess and James Brookman.

Unbeaten Athletico Quat started the more dominant team against Oaks Res but they went behind after good work from Jon Hart resulted in an accurate cross for the returning Elliot Hind to finish to give Oaks the lead.

In the second half Quat’s David Flood had a shot on target which hit an Oaks defender on the hand and a penalty was awarded. Nick Perchard stepped up to slot home.

Another impressive team performance from Sandridge saw them cement their position as title contenders this season following a 3-2 win against AFC Mymms.

Mymms took an early lead with a wonder strike by Nathan Armes before Sandridge scored through Luke Edmondson, Robbie Pullman and Chris Draddy.

Sandridge’s Man of the Match was Duncan Leggett who stamped his authority in the centre midfield, while Mymms’ other goal was an own goal.