Cup glory for London Colney Blues
LONDON COLNEY Blues won the Greg Cup, beating St Ippollitts 2-0 at Hitchin Town’s Top Field ground.
In a competitive match the score was 0-0 at half time with London Colney having the lion share of play on what was a difficult surface.
The Colney defence was well marshalled by Eamonn Rodgers and managed to keep St Ippollitts to wayward shots from distance which never troubled Dave Adams’ gloves.
Colney continued in the same vein in the second half and created good opportunities for Daniel Roberts and Aaron Ames. St Ippollitts played their way into the game and crafted out goal-scoring opportunities but the Colney defence held firm.
It took 70 minutes for Colney’s continued pressure to finally tell, a lofted free-kick by Dave Townsend was met by Rodgers who headed home.
You may also want to watch:
No sooner had Colney got their first goal a second quickly followed. Hamza Chewtouf pounced on a mistake and ran at the defence before slipping a pass to Roberts to score from close range.
St Ippollitts pushed hard to get back into the game but Colney saw the game out and captain Barry Ward lifted the trophy.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 SustFest hosting Open Food Gardens event across district