Cup drama for Colney Heath
Goals from Kevin Ashwood and Aaron Clarke were not enough to put Colney Heath through in the Challenge Trophy against Crawley Green.
A late goal given by the referee, much to the disapproval of Heath’s players as he had already blown his the whistle for a free kick, gave Crawley Green a 3-2 scoreline and a place in the next round.
The Magpies had looked in total control of the game, dominating possession and creating several chances but were pegged back twice on the break by the lively Crawley forwards.
At the weekend, the Magpies hosted pre-season league favourites AFC Dunstable at the Recreation Ground. A great team effort and passing performance saw the Heath cruise to a 4-0 victory, with the visitors failing to test Tom Blackman in goal.
Fluid passing and good ball retention ensured that goals from hat-trick hero Clarke and Ashwood meant that Colney Heath stayed in contention in fourth place and kept the leaders within sight at the top of the SSML Premier Division.
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday, the Magpies make the journey to Hertford Town looking to put more pressure on the top three.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Highfield area of St Albans