Cup continues to provide solace for Radlett
Radlett progress to quarter finals after Stevenage win
RADLETT’S cup form continues to provide the club a fillip in a season of league struggles.
Shane Burger’s side progressed to the quarter finals of the County Cup on Sunday with a 17-run victory over Stevenage, just a day after an eight wicket defeat to Henley saw them slump to the foot of the Division One table.
It was another frustrating Saturday afternoon for Burger’s men as Henley captain Bjorn Mordt ripped through the Radlett batting line-up.
Mordt finished with remarkable figures of 17.1-6-37-8 as Radlett were skittled for 71 in 35.1 overs with only Tom Jenkins (10), Shil Patel (14), Rob Clements (19*) and Heath Paynter (16) reaching double figures.
Henley’s reply lasted a little over 16 overs as Jonno McLean (36*) and David Barnes (11*) saw the home side across the line despite Matt Corran picking up the wickets of Michael Roberts (16) and Peter Dean (10).
It was a totally different story on Sunday though as Matt Lewis (54) and Tom Jenkins (43) produced innings that allowed Radlett to post a competitive score.
- 1 Woman assaulted by teenage boys in Hemel Hempstead underpass
- 2 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 3 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 4 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 5 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 6 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
- 7 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 8 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 9 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
- 10 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
Runs for Andre Sharma (24) and lower down the order, John Barr (25), helped push Radlett past the 200 mark, setting Stevenage 202 to win.
Stevenage’s chances of progressing were diminished though when Rob Clements was introduced into the attack by Burger, with the former North Mymms spinner picking up 7-35 as the North Herts side was knocked over for 184.
Radlett’s reward is a quarter final tie with Cockfosters on July 24.