Cricket, hockey and netball ‘Team Up’ ahead of three World Cups
- Credit: Archant
Three of the countries governing bodies have come together to work on a landmark project for women’s sport – ahead of three World Cups being held in the country over the next three years.
England Hockey, the ECB and England Netball have launched ‘Team Up’, which hopes to develop ‘a participation legacy’ for all three sports.
The initiative comes ahead of the ICC Cricket World Cup next year, the Hockey World Cup in 2018 and the Netball World Cup in 2019, all of which will be held in the country
The governing bodies also hope to build a fan base for women’s team sports and host the best possible World Cups, not only with packed crowds but also by maximising on the legacy they leave behind.
The initiative was launched at a special event at the finals day of the Hockey Champions Trophy, held this year at the Lee Valley Hockey Centre.
And as part of the link-up, the project want to support schools in delivering all three sports, ensuring all girls get the opportunity to take part and love playing a team sport.
To do this they are developing an affinity scheme in which schools can sign up to be a ‘Team Up School’.
- 1 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 2 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 3 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 4 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
- 5 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 6 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 7 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 8 Recap: Rail firm cancels trains due to Herts 'operational issue'
- 9 Woodland access saved by Chiswell Green campaigner
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Through this the project will provide support in the form of resources and training among other ways.
This will allow schools to amass points towards ‘golden ticket’ opportunities, such as being ball girls for a World Cup Final.
Anyone wanting to become a Team Up school should register an interest at www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/TeamUpSchool