Cracknell to sign as Castle prepares for Eastleigh clash
CARETAKER boss Steve Castle is in line to continue in charge as Saints prepare for the clash at Eastleigh on Saturday. Castle has been backed for the managerial role by current skipper Lee Clarke who is upbeat about survival chances despite the 3-1 loss
CARETAKER boss Steve Castle is in line to continue in charge as Saints prepare for the clash at Eastleigh on Saturday.
Castle has been backed for the managerial role by current skipper Lee Clarke who is upbeat about survival chances despite the 3-1 loss at Havant & Waterlooville.
Simon Martin returned on an initial one-month loan deal to lead the attack with Clarke and marked the occasion with a goal on four minutes.
City looked set for a share of the spoils until in the 75th minute unsettled Havant defender Tom Jordan scored his second of the game and in injury time a strike from substitute Craig Watkins made it 3-1 to the Hawks. Lively substitute Hamza Twomey and midfielder Paul Bruce went close with efforts in what was a bright City performance.
You may also want to watch:
Midfielder Dean Cracknell is expected to rejoin Saints this week and could partner former Cambridge City man James Quilter in the centre of midfield at Eastleigh. Quilter made his City debut at Havant having signed on Friday.
Castle will be without Jon Stevenson, Paul Bruce, Jomo Faal-Thomas and Craig Vargas who are all suspended for the trip to Eastleigh.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans
Defender Hasim Deen will return to the squad after missing the match on Saturday as his girlfriend gave birth in the early hours of the morning.
Former AFC Wimbledon striker Richard Butler, who signed a contract until the end of the 2008/09 season with Saints, has requested to leave. Butler was signed by former boss Dave Anderson and has been absent from training and declared himself unavailable on Saturday. He will be fined by the club for his absence.