County honour for Verulam’s Callum Walker
CALLUM Walker of Verulam Golf Club won the overall Scratch prize of the Herts Boys Intermediate Championship with a gross 72 (+1) at Sandy Lodge.
The 14-year-old Beaumont School pupil returned the best gross to win the Gil Jones Cup awarded to the Herts Boys Intermediate Champion.
He manage to finish with a flourish with a birdie two at the par three 18th hole.
The best nett score of the day was an astonishing nett 59 achieved by Jack Newland of Letchworth, despite hitting two balls out of bounds on the way to a nine at the par five 17th hole.
Sandy Lodge were excellent hosts with the youthful competitors very complimentary over the course condition and design, especially the famous trademark wooden ‘sleepered’ bunkers.
You may also want to watch:
The Herts Boys Intermediate Championship is open to all Herts Junior Golfers aged under 16 years of age on the January 1 of that year and are at least 4.5 handicap as at the time of entry.
The field is always an interesting mix of experience and featured promising golfers as young as nine-years-old.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 6 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 7 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 8 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant