COUNTDOWN TO KICK-OFF: Comley backs the favourites for league title
- Credit: Archant
James Comley has gone with the favourites when asked who his front runner for the National League South title is.
The bookies have big-spending Ebbsfleet United as 3/1 favourites to win the league, and the St Albans midfielder didn’t disagree.
“Apart from Ebbsfleet I don’t know many other teams,” he said.
“They’ve got a good squad so I expect them to be strong. Dartford have got a great set-up, too.”
As for his own team, Comley didn’t get sucked into talk of promotion or the play-offs, insisting that any kind of improvement of last year’s 13th-placed finish would be considered a good season.
You may also want to watch:
“Every year you look to do as well as you can but objectively we want to stay in the league first and foremost and then push on,” he said.
“We’ll hopefully aim to finish mid-table or above. As long as we do better than last year then we’ve pushed on.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans
Comley sees the new additions playing a major part in that progression.
“Scott [Thomas] went to the play-offs and got promoted last season and Louie [Theophanous] has played at this level for a couple of years,” he said.
“They’re good additions – strong players for the this level – and hopefully they fit straight in and do well.”