COUNTDOWN TO KICK-OFF: Comley backs the favourites for league title
- Credit: Archant
James Comley has gone with the favourites when asked who his front runner for the National League South title is.
The bookies have big-spending Ebbsfleet United as 3/1 favourites to win the league, and the St Albans midfielder didn’t disagree.
“Apart from Ebbsfleet I don’t know many other teams,” he said.
“They’ve got a good squad so I expect them to be strong. Dartford have got a great set-up, too.”
As for his own team, Comley didn’t get sucked into talk of promotion or the play-offs, insisting that any kind of improvement of last year’s 13th-placed finish would be considered a good season.
You may also want to watch:
“Every year you look to do as well as you can but objectively we want to stay in the league first and foremost and then push on,” he said.
“We’ll hopefully aim to finish mid-table or above. As long as we do better than last year then we’ve pushed on.”
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
- 10 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
Comley sees the new additions playing a major part in that progression.
“Scott [Thomas] went to the play-offs and got promoted last season and Louie [Theophanous] has played at this level for a couple of years,” he said.
“They’re good additions – strong players for the this level – and hopefully they fit straight in and do well.”