Coulton could start against Poole Town
- Credit: Archant
Tom Coulton could keep his place in goal against Poole Town this Saturday despite Paul Bastock returning from his suspension.
Bastock has missed the last three games after picking up a red card at Corby Town and in his place Coulton has helped the Saints pick up seven points. His best performance came at Vauxhall Road when he kept a clean sheet against Hemel Hempstead, who have scored 120 league goals this season.
Bastock was expected to come straight back into the side to face play-off contending Poole at Clarence Park, but that may not be the case.
Speaking after the goalless draw with the Tudors, joint manager James Gray was asked about his young goalkeeper’s run in the starting line-up.
“It hasn’t ended,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“He could rightly be in goal [against Poole]. He hasn’t put a foot wrong. Goalkeeper is one of those positions where it takes two or three weeks to get your bearings – need to judge when the ball is coming into the box and need to judge where you’re coming off your line.
“Tom has been a superb understudy to [Bastock] this season. But he’s has his chance through [Bastock’s] suspension and he’s given us a headache for next week.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
“There’s no guarantee that [Bastock] will come straight back in because Tom has done so well. He’s been outstanding and I’m really pleased that he got a clean sheet today.”