CoStA set sights on promotion spot
FOR the second round in succession City of St Albans Swimming Club (CoStA) finished an impressive second of eight to climb into the top five of the National Speedo League, just one place off a promotion slot into the top division. The CoStA senior squad a
FOR the second round in succession City of St Albans Swimming Club (CoStA) finished an impressive second of eight to climb into the top five of the National Speedo League, just one place off a promotion slot into the top division.
The CoStA senior squad achieved eight individual first-place finishes and set 32 personal best times behind a strong squad from University of East Anglia. It was all about clinching the runners-up position and in the end CoStA beat Halstead into third by just four points.
Anne-Marie DuPreez, Charlotte Henson and Robbie Lightowler each won both their individual events, with Chloe Beard and Jack Baron also picking up first places. There were four PBs for Matthew Henson, in a rich vein of form after his impressive Barnet gala performance, three PBs for Lauren Winfield and two PBs each for Zac Horne, Marlena Smith , Madeleine Geers and Luke Bevis.
But it was the relay squads that really excelled, with seven of the sixteen relay teams achieving top-three places, demonstrating the depth of squad former Olympic Coach Wayne Riddin is developing. With just one round to go on December 13, CoStA are well placed for promotion into the top London Division. "If we get the right draw, I am sure this strong CoStA Squad can clinch promotion," said Coach Riddin.
You may also want to watch:
Costa Gold team were also in action, finishing third behind Hertford at the Hartham Bowl Gala with some impressive performances. Christopher Williams, Madeleine Whittaker and James Loveman each achieved first-place finishes in new personal best times. The training programme is clearly paying off as the squad set 39 PBs in 49 events. Cathy Baldwin, Heather Milsted, Jordan Irvine and Kirsty Seymour each set three personal best times on the night.
l To join CoStA visit Westminster Lodge on Monday nights.
- 1 St Albans support Asian women through lockdown struggles
- 2 Drive-in cinema, comedy and music coming to Hertfordshire Showground
- 3 Council tax to rise in county after 'extraordinary' year
- 4 Residents' misery after disruption on former Butterfly World site
- 5 New community hub set to become a reality at last
- 6 CCTV appeal after £100,000 worth of vehicles destroyed in arson attack
- 7 Call for 20mph speed limits across district wins council support
- 8 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 9 Work set to begin on new Clarence Park playground
- 10 St Albans named among UK's million-pound property hotspots