Corrie peaking ahead of Wimbledon qualifier
- Credit: Archant
Ed Corrie believes he is peaking just at the right time as he gets his Wimbledon charge underway today.
Corrie takes on Spain’s Daniel Munoz-De La Nava in his first round qualifying match today.
“I’ve been playing some of the best tennis of my life in the last two months,” he said.
The 27-year-old had been struggling with a back-injury in the run-up to SW19, cutting down his court time in training and forcing him to withdraw from the Challenger Tour in Surbiton on June 8, but he is confident that it has cleared up.
“I was a bit concerned when I had to pull out of Surbiton, and I haven’t done as much as I would normally do [in preparation for Wimbledon] but I’m with where I am going into [the tournament],” said Corrie, who trains at Gosling Tennis Centre in Welwyn Garden City. Corrie will play in both the singles and the doubles this year, where he will team up with British number three Kyle Edmund for the first time.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve never played competitively but we have trained together and we know each others games,” he said of his partnership with Edmund.
This will be Corrie’s fourth year at Wimbledon and he is hoping his experience will help him reach the second qualifying round for the first time.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
“Obviously I’m a bit nervous because it’s Wimbledon. This is the tournament every player wants to be in,” he said. “I’ve been a few times so hopefully I’ll be able to relax and enjoy it.
“The aim is to get to the main draw and then go from there.”
Corrie wears the Björn Borg Spring 15 tennis collection including the Polo Tim Shirt and Shorts Tarik featuring four-way Hydro-Pro material that wicks the sweat away from your body. The Björn Borg tennis collection is available at Wigmore Sports stores. To see more from the collection, visit www.bjornborg.com/uk