Cooper makes Haringey pay the penalty
Magpies earn a point at Haringey
SSML Premier Division
Haringey Borough 1 Colney Heath 1
IAN Cooper scored a last minute penalty as Colney Heath snatched a point away at high-flying Haringey Borough.
Colney Heath were missing several players through suspension and work and were looking to get back on track and give a decent performance ready for their Cup game with Tring on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
The game got underway in far from ideal conditions with Heath having the strong breeze behind them in the first half.
Colney Heath soon threatened the Borough goal, with Cooper side footing wide when one-on-one with the ‘keeper after just two minutes.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
- 10 Shortages crisis hits district
Ricky Perks, starting his first game of the New Year, also tested the ‘keeper with a drive from the edge of the 18 yard box. Left-back Dave Corran then had a free kick dropped by the Borough keeper but he recovered quickly to snap up the rebound.
Colney Heath were on top and hoping that they could make the most of the conditions.
Paul Armstrong went close with a header at the far post from a Corran cross and Parratt advanced on the left and delivered a fine cross which Perks couldn’t direct on target with his header as the two teams went in at half-time goalless.
Haringay now had the wind at their backs for the second half and it only took them five minutes to take the lead when Chris Benjamin went through unchallenged and rounded goalkeeper Tom Blackman to open the scoring.
Blackman was then called into action on 62 minutes, getting down low to turn a shot from the left hand side round for a corner.
Colney Heath began to get back into the game and Armstrong fired narrowly wide with just over 15 minutes remaining.
With time running out the Magpies pressure eventually told as Cooper went in between two defenders in the area and was dragged to the floor as he was about to shoot. The referee pointed to the spot and Cooper did what he does best to earn Gary Phillips’ side a point.
Heath: Blackman, Gilbert, Corran, Lace, Barker, Dickie, Taylor, Parratt, Armstrong, Perks, Cooper Subs - Coombs, Eames, Staples, Rowland, Clarke.