Cooper makes Haringey pay the penalty
Magpies earn a point at Haringey
SSML Premier Division
Haringey Borough 1 Colney Heath 1
IAN Cooper scored a last minute penalty as Colney Heath snatched a point away at high-flying Haringey Borough.
Colney Heath were missing several players through suspension and work and were looking to get back on track and give a decent performance ready for their Cup game with Tring on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
The game got underway in far from ideal conditions with Heath having the strong breeze behind them in the first half.
Colney Heath soon threatened the Borough goal, with Cooper side footing wide when one-on-one with the ‘keeper after just two minutes.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
Ricky Perks, starting his first game of the New Year, also tested the ‘keeper with a drive from the edge of the 18 yard box. Left-back Dave Corran then had a free kick dropped by the Borough keeper but he recovered quickly to snap up the rebound.
Colney Heath were on top and hoping that they could make the most of the conditions.
Paul Armstrong went close with a header at the far post from a Corran cross and Parratt advanced on the left and delivered a fine cross which Perks couldn’t direct on target with his header as the two teams went in at half-time goalless.
Haringay now had the wind at their backs for the second half and it only took them five minutes to take the lead when Chris Benjamin went through unchallenged and rounded goalkeeper Tom Blackman to open the scoring.
Blackman was then called into action on 62 minutes, getting down low to turn a shot from the left hand side round for a corner.
Colney Heath began to get back into the game and Armstrong fired narrowly wide with just over 15 minutes remaining.
With time running out the Magpies pressure eventually told as Cooper went in between two defenders in the area and was dragged to the floor as he was about to shoot. The referee pointed to the spot and Cooper did what he does best to earn Gary Phillips’ side a point.
Heath: Blackman, Gilbert, Corran, Lace, Barker, Dickie, Taylor, Parratt, Armstrong, Perks, Cooper Subs - Coombs, Eames, Staples, Rowland, Clarke.