Comprehensive defeat to Welwyn surprises Verulamians
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians remain top of the London North West Three table but things are a lot tighter as they slumped to their second defeat in three games with a 46-8 loss at home to Welwyn.
Grasshoppers are now level on points with Welwyn just two points further back.
Strength in depth remains but is being tested by injuries plus the absence of stalwarts Sam Allen and Mike Hollister who have gone abroad.
This loss wasn’t too much of a surprise but the extent and conclusiveness of it was.
The visitors fully deserved the win though Vees never gave up and scored a good try through Micky Seymour 10 minutes from time.
However, Welwyn were in command for the rest of the game, outgunning Vees in the forwards and mercilessly punishing forced errors.
They led 27-3 at the break and maintained their dominant forward play in the second period.
- 1 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 2 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 3 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 6 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 7 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 8 St Albans Beer and Cider Festival set to return after two years
- 9 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 10 Verulam Reallymoving's Houghton on a high with Bovingdon win
Vees resume their quest for promotion with a trip to Finchley on November 25.