Comprehensive defeat to Welwyn surprises Verulamians
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians remain top of the London North West Three table but things are a lot tighter as they slumped to their second defeat in three games with a 46-8 loss at home to Welwyn.
Grasshoppers are now level on points with Welwyn just two points further back.
Strength in depth remains but is being tested by injuries plus the absence of stalwarts Sam Allen and Mike Hollister who have gone abroad.
This loss wasn’t too much of a surprise but the extent and conclusiveness of it was.
The visitors fully deserved the win though Vees never gave up and scored a good try through Micky Seymour 10 minutes from time.
You may also want to watch:
However, Welwyn were in command for the rest of the game, outgunning Vees in the forwards and mercilessly punishing forced errors.
They led 27-3 at the break and maintained their dominant forward play in the second period.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
Vees resume their quest for promotion with a trip to Finchley on November 25.