Colney turn on Amps
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One London Colney 2 Ampthill Town 1 ON Tuesday evening London Colney came back from 1-0 down at half time to beat Ampthill Town following a much improved second-half performance. In the first half, the Blueboy
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One
London Colney 2 Ampthill Town 1
ON Tuesday evening London Colney came back from 1-0 down at half time to beat Ampthill Town following a much improved second-half performance.
In the first half, the Blueboys earned three consecutive corners before the Ampthill 'keeper Woodcraft eventually gathered safely. Barker and Dickie also had shots saved while from another McCafferty corner Dave Corran's powerful header hit the post and went wide.
You may also want to watch:
Jermaine Davey then put in a good cross but Barker was deemed to have fouled the 'keeper as the ball ran loose.
On the stroke of half time, Ampthill took the lead when a Lee Erswell free kick allowed Nick Shirley to loop a long-range header over Hill in the Colney goal.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 7 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 8 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 9 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 10 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
The Blueboys should have equalised straight from the kick off when Gallagher and Corran set up Beschizza but he shot just wide when well placed.
Early in the second half both Gallagher and Barker had shots saved as Colney looked to pull the goal back. In the 47th minute they did, when Jermaine Davey latched onto a flick on from Corran and then beat a defender before drilling the ball low past Woodcraft for a fine goal.
Gallagher shot just wide and Paradise headed wide as the Blueboys pressed forward, before the match was delayed for 20 minutes when Ampthill's Joe Finlay suffered head and neck injuries and an ambulance had to be called.
After the restart Colney continued attacking and were rewarded in the 73rd minute when Shaw found Davey who swept the ball out wide to Corran. He delivered a perfect cross to the far post for Gary Simmonds to head home.
Ampthill tried to hit back but a brilliant diving save from Hill rescued the situation. Then from a quick break Gallagher raced away and found Dean Barker clear, but his well-placed shot struck the underside of the bar and bounced out. A minute later Woodcraft was quickly out to block another Barker shot.
In the last seconds, Ampthill won a corner which Erswell curled in and a Jonny Lewis header was cleared off the line by McCafferty.
London Colney: Hill, Paradise, McCafferty, Dickie (Mitchell), Humbert, Beschizza (Simmonds), Shaw, barker, J. Davey (C. Davey), Gallagher, Corran. Unused subs: Benning, Seabrook.