Colney putting the pressure on the leaders after fine win
- Credit: Archant
London Colney continued their push towards the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division summit – after this emphatic 4-0 win away to Harefield United.
The Blueboys now sit second, just two points behind leaders AFC Dunstable, after goals from Russell Gallagher, Greg Shaw, Stef Geraldes and Jon Clements saw off the Middlesex side.
They led 1-0 at the break thanks to an individual effort on 24 minutes by Gallagher, who was a constant thorn all afternoon to the Harefield defence.
Winning the ball out wide, he set off on a mazy run towards goal, beating three defenders, before curling a shot into the bottom right hand corner.
Tom Smith, Gallagher again and then Spencer Clarke-Mardel all tested Jacob Ballheimer in the Harefield goal but despite their domination, Colney could not add a second.
You may also want to watch:
However, things really clicked in the second-half.
A Charlie Smith cross found Greg Shaw at the edge of the box for number two before Geraldes, on as a second-half substitute made it three, finishing off a fine move involving Gallagher and Dave Corran.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 5 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 6 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 7 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
Clements’ clinical shot ended the scoring although there was still time for Ballheimer to deny Gallagher again.
The Blueboys could go top if they defeat Berkhamstead tonight (Tuesday) at Cotlandswick.