Colney Heath through in FA Vase despite goalkeeper drama

Rey Carbon got the first goal for Colney Heath against Redbridge. Picture: KARYN HADDON

Rey Carbon got the first goal for Colney Heath against Redbridge. Picture: KARYN HADDON - Credit: Archant

Colney Heath made it through to the first round proper of the FA Vase with a 2-1 win over Redbridge at The Recreation Ground – despite playing the last 30 minutes with right back Bradley Osbourne in goal.

Leading 1-0 through a Rey Carbon goal, Heath were rocked when Emmanuel Olajide had to go off with a broken thumb on the hour.

What made matters worse was the lack of goalkeeper on the substitute’s bench, Craig Clarke having travelled with the development side to Hoddesdon Town.

But despite the reshuffle the Magpies scored next, Jamie Eames getting the goal and although Kieran English replied almost immediately for Redbridge, Heath hung on.

In fact they could have finished with more goals. Osamu Allman hit the bar, Danielson Vincente fired over and Kai Gardiner forced a good save from Jake Hernagh as the sides played over seven minutes of added time.

It was a frantic finish to a game that had took a while to warm-up.

Neither keeper was truly tested in the opening half an hour.

Most Read

The Magpies’ indiscipline gave Redbridge a number of free-kicks in dangerous positions but bar one punch under pressure from Olajide, the Essex Senior Premier League visitors lacked a threat.

That said, for all Colney Heath’s intricate passing, Hernagh was also a spectator for most of the first half.

However, his first moment of note was one to forget.

The hosts worked the ball out to Carbon on the right wing and his shot was fumbled by the Redbridge keeper above his head, the ball dropping behind him and in.

Allman hit the post moments later as Colney Heath finished the half by far the stronger.

Olajide made a superb save seconds after the break to preserve their advantage and the Magpies keeper was called into sprawling action to block two more efforts 15 minutes later.

It was there he picked up the injury and departed the action with Osbourne volunteering to don the gloves.

But although the right back had no chance with the goal, he was confident in coming for balls and made sure Colney Heath are in the draw for the next round.