Shock defeat sends Colney Heath out of the Spartan South Midlands League Challenge Trophy
- Credit: Archant
Colney Heath suffered shock 2-1 defeat away to Old Bradwell United in the SSML Challenge Trophy.
The Magpies have been dominant this season with only a loss to Southern League Corby Town against their name and seven wins from seven in the Premier Division.
But despite taking a third-minute lead through George Devine, holding off the defence before slotting the ball beyond goalkeeper Liam Jahn, the Division Two leaders fought back in the second half.
The first came from Scott Valentine's corner which was headed in by the unmarked Daryl Smith before provider turner scorer with a thunderous 25-yard shot.
Colney pressed for an equaliser with Mickey Shuttlewood, Devine and Danny May all going close but that was to be no second.
You may also want to watch:
They will need to do much better when they travel to Flackwell Heath in the first round of the FA Vase on Saturday.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 10 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park